Tuesday, October 19, 2010

That’ll be the day
A few nights ago I had the pleasure of watching the South African produced buddy holly show at the state theatre, Pretoria. The Being the wannabe aristocrat that I am, I was so excited and it was also an excuse to dress up! Show directed by Pierre van Pletzen and with a cast of Andrew Webster and Craig Urbani, it really exceeded all my expectations! It was fun, made me want to dance and it was in my opinion flawless reenactment on the life of buddy holly.
I remember laying in my grandparent’s lounge listening to a buddy holly record sharing my purple Smarties with my grandpa. And after listening to the show and remembering every song I couldn’t help but think about today’s societies “music”
All you hear on the radio now days is auto-tuned lazy artists who are more concerned with their “look” than their music. This really upsets me. And I’m no music genius, but I know that music isn’t what it used to be, the greats like Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, Kurt Cobain, ect, who fought and pushed their way to the top. These were the true artists, and were known for their music and not for wearing meat dresses, flicking their 16 year old hair trying to swoon women and gyrating their 52 year old asses on stage. And if it’s not terrible pop songs, badly written rap tracks and disappointing rock tunes its terrible loud overboard rave (which in my opinion should have stayed dead in the 90’s.) I say we give all of these so called “artists” back and have the greats returned in their place.
"That’ll be the day
Well, that'll be the day, when you say goodbye
Yes, that'll be the day, when you make me cry
You say you're gonna leave, you know it's a lie
'Cause that'll be the day when I die"

No comments:

Post a Comment